Just as one enjoys a beautiful painting, a lovely garden, or a moving story, the chance to work with children in a giving, loving way, can be deeply fulfilling – something one will always treasure. This part is just for you, the rest of the goodness falls upon each child with whom you interact.
So many students are in distressing situations that are beyond their control. With but a minimum of time, we can give them the strength and the knowledge to stand by themselves. It takes so little, but accomplishes so much.
If you’re ready to make a difference in our community, or would like to know more about volunteer opportunities with MTC, simply contact us. We’ll send you some information on MTC, and help answer any questions you may have. You can also access the MTC Volunteer Handbook right here.
Our schools are under-staffed and our teachers need more help then ever! Tutors give students the extra help they need, by increasing confidence in their learning abilities and helping them further their education. Tutors:
- Must have graduated high school
- Work one-on-one or with a small group once a week at a specific time during the school day
- Help with reading, writing, math and/or other subjects in either elementary or middle school in Los Altos or Mountain View
- Work under the supervision of a teacher for one hour each week during the school year
- Receive training and support from Tutor Placement Coordinators
When you volunteer as a mentor, our staff will match you with a high school student who has similar interests. We provide training and ongoing support. Mentors:
- Must be age 22 or older
- Matched with a high school student of similar interests at Alta Vista, Mountain View or Los Altos High School
- Serve as a non-judgmental role model
- Meet once a week in the first month, then at least twice a month thereafter — a one-year commitment is strongly recommended
- “Match meeting” takes place on-campus during or after school hours to ensure that the first meeting is in a safe and familiar surrounding
- After the “match meeting,” collaborate with mentee on future meeting locations and times
- Attend mini-trainings with other mentors
Other Volunteer Positions
As our organization grows, we rely on a number of volunteers to help in a variety of ways. From simply helping us staff an event, to applying a special skill you have to a strategic project, we welcome you to ‘get involved’ in a way that works for you.
Maybe your formal background is in education, psychology or counseling, business, marketing, technology, legal, non-profit organizations, or maybe you just have a special knack for event planning, writing, speaking, graphic design, social media, or networking. Whatever your skill set is, we’d like to talk with you about putting it to use in helping our community youth programs.
Please contact us using the form on the left of this page, and list any special skills that you think could benefit MTC.